Skip to main content

Name Changes, 1888-1988

 Series
Identifier: rg02.03

Scope and Contents note

Name Changes materials consist of acts passed by the legislature of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that amended the 1836 charter and changed the school's name from Mount Holyoke Female Seminary to Mount Holyoke Seminary and College (1888), then to Mount Holyoke College (1893). These name changes reflect the school's transformation from a seminary that granted diplomas for the completion of studies to graduates into a degree-granting college. The materials also include copies of newspaper editorials from 1888 concerning the proposed charter change and an invitation to a celebration at the College in 1988 commemorating the one hundredth anniversary of the 1888 charter.

Dates

  • 1888-1988

Conditions Governing Access note

Unrestricted.

Extent

2 folders

Language of Materials

From the Record Group: English