Elisabeth Bardwell papers
Scope and Contents
The Elisabeth Miller Bardwell Papers contain correspondence 1881-98, a scrapbook 1974-97, a notebook 1881-97, a travel journal 1890, notes 1893-99, and photographs. The letters are chiefly from colleagues in the field of astronomy, including Henry A. Hazen, Truman H. Safford, and Charles A. Young. The scrapbook primarily contains astronomy-related newspaper clippings. The notebook contains religious notes and detailed biblical references. The travel jouranl, entitled "Across the Atlantic," records her voyage to Eurpoe. The notes were written for general religious meetings, as well as for faculty prayer.
Conditions Governing Access
Elisabeth M. Bardwell was born on December 4, 1831 in Colrain, Massachusetts to Amos and Minerva Bardwell. She attended the Academy at Shelburne Falls under principal Albion Byron Clark. She graduated from Mount Holyoke Seminary in 1866 and immediately began teaching algebra, trigonometry, physics, and astronomy. In 1873 Bardwell did graduate work at Dartmouth College in mathematics. She was instrumental in the building of the John Payson Williston Observatory at Mount Holyoke in 1880. Elisabeth M. Bardwell died on May 27, 1899.
1 boxes (1 box(5 linear in.))
Language of Materials
Bardwell, Elisabeth Miller, 1831-1899; College teacher and astronomer. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary graduate, 1866. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary teacher, 1866-1896. An instrumental supporter in building the Williston Observatory. Papers consist of correspondence, scrapbook, notebook, travel journal, notes and photographs. Primarily documenting her interest in astronomy and her trip to Europe, all dating between 1874 and 1899.
- Astronomers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Religious life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Transportation and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women college teachers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Papers, 1881-1899.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA