Scope and Contents
The Lucy M. Curtis papers consist of correspondence, a commonplace book, and a photograph. Most of this material relates to the years of her association with Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, 1838-1849. There are eight letters in the collection written between 1842 and 1849. In her six letters to Mrs. Hannah Kingsbury Porter (wife of Mount Holyoke trustee Andrew Porter), Curtis mentions the death of student Sarah Wingate in 1849 and describes in detail the illness of Mary Lyon in the same year. The collection also contains a letter written to Lyon discussing the merits of a potential student for the Seminary. A later letter to Lyon expresses her admiration and affection for Miss Lyon. The letters contain indications of Curtis' religious beliefs. The commonplace book contains original compositions and copied articles by Mount Holyoke students from the classes of 1838 to 1849, part of writings at the school known as "Seminary Literature." The biographical information includes a note by Anna C. Edwards (Mount Holyoke Class of 1859) concerning Curtis' life, probably dating from circa 1900. The collection also contains a photograph of Curtis probably taken while she was at Mount Holyoke.
- Majority of material found within 1838 - 1849
Conditions Governing Access
Lucy M. Curtis was born in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. She attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary from 1838 to 1840 and returned to complete her studies in 1843. She taught at Mount Holyoke from her graduation in 1844 to 1847 and from 1848 until her death in late April of 1849 in West Brookfield, Massachusetts.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Curtis, Lucy M., d. 1849; student and college teacher. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary graduate, 1844. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary teacher, 1844-1849. Papers consist of correspondence to Hannah Porter and Mary Lyon, a commonplace book, biographical material, and a photograph; primarily documenting her association with Mount Holyoke Female Seminary and the illness of Mary Lyon.
Arranged in 4 series: Series 1. Correspondence. Series 2. Commonplace Book. Series 3. Biographical material. Series 4. Photograph.
- College teachers -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Death Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Religious life -- 1849 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Religious life -- United States -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women college teachers -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- commonplace books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Curtis papers, 1838-1849, ca. 1900.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- #169; 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA