Scope and Contents
The S. Blanche Young Papers consist of course records, memorabilia, biographical information and photographs. The materials in this collection relate chiefly to her years as a Mount Holyoke College student, 1898-1902. These papers primarily consist of course records, including notebooks, and papers. The majority of these records are for English and history courses. Other records relate to courses in zoology, philosophy and political science. Also included is a notebook used while she was attending high school in Lebanon, New Hampshire. The notebook includes notes on literature and history including several studies of historical figures like Julius Caesar. Memorabilia includes physical measurement charts of weight, height, girth, depth, breadth, length and strength which were taken at Mount Holyoke in 1899 and 1901. Also included are some poems written by Young, an invitation, a handmade valentine and some other mementos from her years spent at Mount Holyoke. The biographical information consists of a record of Young's occupation and marital status as of 1921. The photographs are photographs of the 1901 May Day celebration, portraits of Young, groups of students on campus and inside dormitories, the campus buildings and other campus scenery, and of members of the class of 1902 at commencement. Some of these photographs are represented by glass plate negatives which are accompanied by contact prints.
- Creation: 1896 - 1921
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1896 - 1902
Conditions Governing Access
Susan Blanche Cole was born on July 16, 1879 in Lebanon, New Hampshire to William B. Cole and Annie Spencer Cole. She attended high school in Lebanon then went to Mount Holyoke College between 1898 and 1902 and majored in English Literature. In 1915 she married Arthur Eugene Young who worked in business. During her marriage she worked part time as an assistant in the public library. Following her husband's death in 1925 she worked as a librarian at the Lebanon Public Library until her retirement in 1969. She died at age ninety-two in Lebanon, New Hampshire on April 4, 1971.
1.04 Linear Feet (2 full Hollinger and 1 half Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
Young, Susan Blanche Cole, 1879-1971; student. Mount Holyoke College graduate, 1902. Papers contain course records, memorabilia, biographical information and photographs, but consisting primarily of notebooks used for courses taken at Mount Holyoke.
Arranged in 4 series: Series 1. Course Records. Series 2. Memorabilia. Series 3. Biographical Information. Series 4. Photographs.
Genre / Form
- College students -- Massachusetts
- May Day -- 1901
- May Day -- Massachusetts -- South Hadley
- Mount Holyoke College -- Buildings -- Pictorial works
- Mount Holyoke College -- Class of 1902 -- Photographs
- Mount Holyoke College -- Curricula
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student housing -- Pictorial works
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life -- 1898-1902
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student notebooks -- 1898-1902
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student papers -- 1898-1902
- Mount Holyoke College -- Students -- Pictorial works.
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Women -- Anthropometry -- United States
- Women college students -- Massachusetts
- Young papers, ca. 1896-1902, 1921.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA