Scope and Contents
The Ella Farrington Poor Papers contains course records, biographical information and photographs. The material in the collection consists chiefly of notes and laboratory notebooks reflecting her study of art history, botany, medieval and modern history, and zoology in 1897-1898 while she was a student at Mount Holyoke College. These papers also include a biographical note about her, circa 1911, and three copies of a photograph showing her in cap and gown, probably when she graduated from Mount Holyoke in 1899.
- Creation: 1897 - 1911
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1897 - 1899
Conditions Governing Access
Ella Marian Farrington was born on November 17, 1876 in Portland, Maine to James Roger Farrington and Ella Frances Rowe Farrington. She attended Portland High School and then went to Mount Holyoke College between 1895-1899, majoring in Greek and minoring in Latin and German. She worked at Mount Holyoke College between 1899-1900 as a tutor in Greek and Latin and also from 1900-1901 as a reader in Latin. She taught at Potter Academy in Sebago, Maine from 1901-1903. On September 2, 1902 she married Howard E. Poor, a farmer, and they had four children. She died at the age of seventy-three in Gorham, Maine on May 30, 1950.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 full Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Poor, Ella Marion Farrington, 1876-1950; student and college teacher. Mount Holyoke College graduate, 1899; Mount Holyoke College faculty member, 1899-1901. Papers contain course records, biographical information, and photographs; primarily of notes and laboratory notebooks compiled for courses in art, botany, history, and zoology at Mount Holyoke College.
Arranged in 3 series: Series 1. Course Records. Series 2. Biographical Information. Series 3. Photographs.
Genre / Form
- Art -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts
- Botany -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts
- History -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts
- Mount Holyoke College -- Curricula
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student notebooks -- 1897-1898
- Mount Holyoke College -- Students
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Zoology -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts
- Poor papers, 1897-ca.1899, 1911.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA