Scope and Contents
The Hettie M. Dodd Carter Papers consist primarily of two diaries, but also include correspondence, composition, biographical information, and photographs. The diaries chiefly describe Carter's voyage from Marsovan, Turkey to the United States after the death of her father in 1866. The first diary notes Carter's activities aboard the ship and stops in Malta and Liverpool, as well as her stay with relatives in New Jersey and homesickness. These passages are occasionally in Turkish. The second diary contains brief entries about Carter's first year as a student at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, 1867-1868. Carter mentions her coursework, activities and examinations. The other material in the collection documents Carter's correspondence with the Mount Holyoke Alumnae Association and a photograph of herself. The composition was written in Carter's senior year at the Seminary, entitled, "Esther Clyde's Party."
- Creation: 1866-1868
Conditions Governing Access
Hettie M. Dodd was born on February 7, 1850 in Salonica, Turkey, to Reverend Edward M. Dodd and Lydia Babbitt, class of 1848. She graduated from Mount Holyoke Seminary in 1871 and taught at the Western Seminary in Oxford, Ohio. In 1874, she married Reverend Thomas Carter. Her daughters, Annie and Edith, both attended Mount Holyoke College. After the death of her husband in 1894, she moved to Montclair, New Jersey, where she died on October 3, 1943.
1 boxes (1871 Dodd)
Language of Materials
Carter, Hettie M. Dodd, 1850-1943; Student. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary graduate, 1871. Papers consist of personal diaries, correspondence and compositions; primarily documenting her journey from Turkey to the United States to attend Mount Holyoke and later, her academic and social activities while at the Seminary.
Genre / Form
- College students -- Massachusetts -- Diaries
- Family -- United States -- History
- Missionaries -- Turkey -- Biography
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty -- History
- Voyages and travels
- Women -- Education -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Women -- United States -- Social conditions -- Sources
- Women college students -- Massachusetts -- Diaries
- Carter papers, 1866-1868.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA