Skip to main content

Old South Hadley burial ground history

 Collection
Identifier: MS 0041

Scope and Contents

Collection consists of 5 manuscript (typescript) working volumes from which a 1-volume published work "The Old South Hadley Burial Ground, 1976 : A Conservation Project" was published by the South Hadley Historical Society in 1976, and 130 additional photographs of 18th and early-19th century gravestones from the cemetery printed in 1977-78. The "conservation project" documenting the cemetery was conceived by Jessie G. Lie (later Jessie Farber) and was carried out by many citizens of South Hadley as part of the American bicentennial. The photographs are by Daniel Farber and Jessie Lie.

Dates

  • 1976-1978

Conditions Governing Access

Unrestricted

Biographical Note

Conceived by Jessie G. (Lie) Farber and supported by the South Hadley Bicentennial Committee as part of the United States bicentennial celebrations through the creation of a visual record of the history of the old burying ground in South Hadley. Originally established in 1728 at the site now occupied by the Gaylord Library, the stones and remains were moved to the Evergreen Cemetery between 1868 and 1904.

Extent

1.46 Linear Feet (3 full Hollinger and 1 half Hollinger boxes)

Abstract

Farber, Jessie G. Lie, Daniel Farber, et al., principally residents of South Hadley, Massachusetts. Collection consists of the "working volumes" of an illustrated history of the old burial ground (1728-ca. 1899) prepared in 1976 as part of the South Hadley's celebration of the United States bicentennial, and additional photographs of the extant stones.

Arrangement

Arranged in two series. Series 1. Typescript Volumes. Series 2. Photographs.
Title
Old South Hadley burial ground history, 1976-1978.
Status
Edited Full Draft
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA
413-538-3079