Cogswell family correspondence
Scope and Contents
Chiefly letters by Abby Cogswell Twycross or to her from her sister, Elizabeth, and other relatives in the Cogswell, Barker, and Twycross families. Letters dated 1828-1833 concern Elizabeth's life as a teacher in Danvers, Mass. and New York State, and reflect the social life, health, and relationships of family members.
Material from this collection is available in an online digital format.
- Creation: 1828-1877
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1828 - 1833
Conditions Governing Access
Wade Cogswell, was born on June 20, 1769 in Rowley, Massachusetts and married Hannah Barker of Vermont. They had two daughters, both of whom were born in New Hampshire: Eliza (Elizabeth), born on January 18, 1807, and Abby, born on January 2, 1809. Eliza, a school teacher, married John Wood on November 14, 1836. She died on December 6, 1841. Abby married John Austin Twycross on October 8, 1838. Together they had four children, including Martha Austin Twycross. Abby Twycross died on August 23, 1878. Martha Austin Twycross married Edward H. Barker on January 23, 1870. Together they had seven children, including Abbie Cogswell. Abbie was born on February 15, 1875, and graduated from Mount Holyoke College in 1901. She died in Yarmouth, Maine, on January 13, 1964.
2 Files (Abbie C. Barker, class of 1900)
Language of Materials
Cogswell family. Wade and Hannah Barker Cogswell. Papers contain letters by Abby Cogswell Twycross, 1809-1878, daughter of Wade, to various relatives of the Barker and Twycross family and her sister, Elizabeth Cogswell Wood, 1807-1841. Primarily documenting family matters and Elizabeth's work as a teacher.
Genre / Form
- Family -- United States -- History
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Schools -- Massachusetts -- History -- Sources
- Schools -- New York (State) -- History -- Sources
- Teachers -- Massachusetts
- Teachers -- New York (State)
- Teachers -- United States -- Correspondence
- Women -- Health and hygiene -- United States -- History
- Women -- United States -- Social conditions -- Sources
- Women teachers -- United States -- Correspondence
- Cogswell family correspondence, 1828-1877 (bulk 1828-1833)
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA