Scope and Contents
The Mary Woodman Kingston Papers consist of a notebook, a calendar, biographical information and a photograph. The notebook contains notes taken from a History of Art class at Mount Holyoke College in 1898-1899. It is quite extensive and includes photographs of ancient monuments and drawings of the vertical dimensions of the great pyramids. Topics studied include "The Art of the Sphynx Creation" and "Primitive Greece", The 1899 calendar published by Antikamnia Chemical Company in St. Louis is entitled "Skeleton Sketches" and was made primarily for distribution to members of the medical profession. Biographical information consists of newspaper clippings dated 1923 and 1936 and a biographical note from about 1915. The photograph is a picture of Kingston in a cap and gown taken during her senior year at Mount Holyoke, 1899.
Material from this collection is available in an online digital format.
- ca. 1898-1936
- Majority of material found within 1898 - 1899
Conditions Governing Access
Mary Milton Woodman was born on July 8 1876, in (West) Lebanon, New Hampshire to Milton Sawyer Woodman and Mary Emma Morey Woodman. She entered Mount Holyoke College in 1895, majored in Latin with minors in history and Greek and received a B.A. degree in 1899. Following her graduation, she taught high school in Windsor (Vermont), Montaque (Massachusetts), Woodsville (New Hampshire), and White River Junction (Vermont), and then became a private tutor in 1906. She married William John Kingston, an architectural sheet metal worker, and had three daughters. The Kingstons lived in Springfield, Massachusetts where she died on September 28, 1964 at the age of eighty-seven.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Kingston, Mary Woodman, 1876-1964; student. Mount Holyoke College graduate, 1899. Papers contain a notebook, a calendar, biographical information and a photograph concerning primarily her study of art history while at Mount Holyoke.
Arranged in 4 series: Series 1. Notebook. Series 2. Calendar. Series 3. Biographical Information. Series 4. Photograph.
- Art -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Art, Classical -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Curricula Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student notebooks -- 1898-1899 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Women college students -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- calendars (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kingston Papers, ca. 1898-1936 (bulk ca. 1898-1899)
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA