Evelyn Anderson Lee papers
Scope and Contents
The Evelyn Anderson Lee Papers contain course records, biographical information and photographs. The collection reflects chiefly her study of art history during her senior year at Mount Holyoke College (1936-1937). Course records for an introductory class in art history taught by Marian Hayes include hundreds of prints of historic art and architecture. Two notebooks contain detailed reading notes, illustrations (including small sketches), and magazine and newspapers articles relating to different periods in art history. These study notes are graded. Also included are records for a religion course taken in 1936 which consist of several maps of the Middle East and some material relating to church activities. Biographical information includes articles related to some of Lee's activities in 1940 and the 1980s, an obituary for her from 1996, and the program from her memorial service. The photographs include a snapshot and a formal portrait taken during her senior year at Mount Holyoke, an interior snapshot of her room in Pearsons Annex in 1935-1936, and a formal portrait of her from 1992.
- ca. 1935-1996
- Majority of material found within 1936 - 1937
Conditions Governing Access
Evelyn Harriett Anderson was born on September 9, 1914 in Providence, Rhode Island to Erik R. Anderson, a mechanical engineer, and Ellen O. Anderson. She graduated from Chicopee (Massachusetts) High School in 1933 then attended Mount Holyoke College from 1933 to 1937, receiving a B.A. with honors in zoology. She was as an English teacher at Labra Junior High School, Santurce (San Juan), Puerto Rico, from 1937-1938. She then taught mathematics and science at the MacDuffie School in Springfield, Massachusetts from 1938-1940. She married William Stuart Lee, a mathematical engineer, on August 31, 1940 and they had one child. She died at eighty-two on October 7, 1996 in Newtown, Pennsylvania.
1 boxes (1937 Anderson)
Language of Materials
Lee, Evelyn Anderson, 1914-1996; student and teacher. Mount Holyoke College graduate, 1937. Papers contain course records, biographical information and photographs relating chiefly to her time as a Mount Holyoke student with a particular emphasis on her studies in art history and religion, 1936-1937. Of note are notes and notebooks for an introductory art history course taught by Marian Hayes.
Arranged in 3 series: Series 1. Course Records. Series 2. Biographical Information. Series 3. Photographs.
- Art -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Curricula Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Pearsons Annex -- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student notebooks -- 1936-1937 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Religion -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women college students -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lee papers, ca. 1935-1996 (bulk 1936-1937)
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA