Scope and Contents
The Harriet Miriam North Dowd Papers contain approximately 1070 items, including correspondence (1848-1902); invitations and calling cards (1853-1888); and biographical material (1902-1911) which includes newspaper clippings of articles about her husband's work, death, and her death. Letters from 35 of North's family and in-laws primarily discuss religion, daily routines, illnesses, home remedies, and deaths. Others concern business matters of the Granville Seminary. Correspondants include: Arthur Dudley Dowd (son), Carl (Charles?) Dowd (son), Charles F. Dowd (husband), Lucy Atkins Dowd (sister-in-law), "Mother" Dowd (mother-in-law), Nannie Amelia Dowd (sister-in-law), Susie Dowd (wife of brother-in-law), Wedworth Dowd (brother-in-law), Wyllys (Will) Dowd (son), Harriet Dowd Galpin (sister-in-law), Jennie Dowd Heald (sister-in-law), Miriam (Milly) Dowd James (daughter), Beartha Dowd Lester (daughter), E. Wilcox (uncle-in-law), Julia North (Class of 1858- Mrs. Orrin Mildrum- sister), Sarah North (Class of 1854- Mrs. John Whitney- sister), Sarah W. Bigelow (Class of 1851), Mary J. Burdett (x-Class of 1850), Martha J. Crosby (Class of 1859), Elizabeth P. Gould (x-Class of 1855), Laura G. Millett (Class of 1851), Anna W. Moody (Class of 1851), Laura Walker (x-Class of 1849), Julia E. Ward (Class of 1857), Caroline A. Warren (x-Class of 1851), Mary L.D. Wilson (Class of 1864), Elizabeth Burt (Class of 1851), and Sophronia S. Fisher (Class of 1851).
- Majority of material found within 1853 - 1875
Conditions Governing Access
Harriet Miriam North was born on February 17, 1830, in East Berlin, Connecticut. She graduated from Mount Holyoke Seminary in 1851, and married Dr. Charles F. Dowd in 1852. Together, they ran the North Granville Ladies Seminary from 1860-1867, and in 1868 they became co-principals of the Temple Grove Seminary until circa 1900. They also raised six children. In 1904, Dr. Charles Dowd was killed by a train in Saratoga. Harriet Dowd died in December of 1911.
3 boxes (1851 North)
Language of Materials
Dowd, Harriet Miriam North, 1830-1911; Principal and housewife. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary graduate, 1851. Papers consist of correspondence, invitations, and biographical material. Primarily discussing her daily activities, her career, and her health.
- Family -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frontier and pioneer life -- United States -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- School administrators -- New York (State) -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Education -- New York (State) -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dowd papers, 1848-1911 (bulk 1853-1875)
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA