Smith family papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, diaries, writings, biographical material and photographs relating to Clara E. Smith and her parents, Edward and Georgiana Smith. Principally consists of letters written while Clara was a student at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, 1882-1885, reflecting her social and academic activities, the relationship between mother and daughter and Georgiana's health.
- Creation: 1862-1954
Conditions Governing Access
Georgiana was married to Edward Smith and they lived in Northford, Connecticut. On May 20, 1865 they had a daughter, Clara Eliza Smith. Clara Smith graduated from Mount Holyoke in 1885 and received a Ph.D. from Yale University in 1904. From 1889 through 1898 she worked at State Normal School in Pennsylvania as an Instructor in fine arts. In 1906 she began teaching at Wellesley College as a substitute in Mathematics, and was hired as as Instructor in 1908. She toured the world for one year in 1928, and retired in 1934. Clara Smith died on May 12, 1943 in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
3 boxes (1885)
Language of Materials
Smith family. Edward Smith, 1830-1865, and Georgiana Smith Smith, 1830-1885, and one daughter. Papers contain correspondence, diaries, writings, biographical information and photographs. Primarily documenting the experiences of Clara Eliza Smith, 1865-1943, their daughter, while a student at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, 1882-1885.
This collection is organized into three sub-groups. It is arranged into series within each sub-group, then chronologically.
Genre / Form
- Bible -- Study and teaching
- Books and reading
- Family -- United States -- History
- Mothers and daughters -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Mount Holyoke College -- Curricula
- Mount Holyoke College -- Domestic work
- Mount Holyoke College -- Examinations
- Mount Holyoke College -- Faculty
- Mount Holyoke College -- Library
- Mount Holyoke College -- Rules and regulations
- Mount Holyoke College -- Seminary buildings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life -- 1882-1885
- Mount Holyoke College -- Students -- Political activity
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty -- History
- Science -- Study and teaching
- Women -- Education -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Women -- Health and hygiene -- United States -- History
- Smith family papers, 1862-1954.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA