Scope and Contents
The Alice Hall Farnsworth Papers contain correspondence, 1915-57; writings, 1901, 1917-55; astronomy files, 1913-56; records from the American Association of Variable Star Observers, 1925-52; scrapbooks, 1933-1945; biographical material; and photographs. The correspondence primarily deals with her experiences as a student and as an astronomy teacher at Mount Holyoke. The writings include a notebook and many published articles. The biographical material includes newspaper clippings and press releases. The photographs include pictures of Farnsworth, circa 1919-57, an album from a trip to South America and various other albums.
Material from this collection is available in an online digital format.
Conditions Governing Access
Alice Hall Farnsworth was born on October 19, 1893, in Williamsburg, Massachusetts. She attended Tanton public schools, and graduated from Mount Holyoke College in 1916. She received an M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1917 and 1920 respectively. In 1920 she began teaching astronomy at Mount Holyoke College. In 1936 she became chair of the department, and she retired in 1957. Alice Hall Farnsworth died on October 1, 1960, in Newton, Massachusetts.
7 boxes (Faculty/Staff)
Language of Materials
Farnsworth, Alice Hall, 1893-1960; Astronomer and college teacher. Mount Holyoke College graduate, 1916. Mount Holyoke College faculty member, 1920-1957. Papers contain correspondence, writings, astronomy files, records from the American Association of Variable Star Observers, scrapbooks, biographical information, and photographs. Primarily documenting her academic and professional life.
- Astronomers -- United States -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Astronomers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Astronomy -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Curriculum -- Astronomy Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Women college teachers -- United States -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women college teachers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farnsworth papers, 1901-1962.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA