Committee on Buildings and Grounds records
Scope and Contents
Records of the Committee on Buildings and Grounds date from 1929-1996 and concern the purchase and sale of property by Mount Holyoke College, improvements to the campus, and the construction and renovation of buildings at the College. Documents are arranged in three series: Meeting Minutes and Records Concerning New Facilities and Renovations; Reports; and Architectural Plans and Proposals and Meeting Minutes. Meeting Minutes and Records Concerning New Facilities and Renovations (1929-1981) contain minutes and agenda, reports, architectural plans, correspondence, financial records, memoranda, and lists. Many of the records concern the purchase or sale of property by the College and the construction of or improvements to buildings, including dormitories, science facilities, and Kendall Hall (the gymnasium). There are also references to improving walkways and caring for trees on campus, adding parking spaces, and maintaining or extending water and sewer lines. Reports (1954-1977) contain information about the funding new construction efforts and the acquisition and sale of property as well as progress reports on the design and construction of facilities. These documents include information about the development of the Jewett Lane area for faculty housing. Architectural Plans and Proposals and Meeting Minutes (1978-1996) concern maintenance and construction of buildings and improvements to the grounds, including work that was done part of Mount Holyoke's Master Plan that began in the early 1980s. These records include information about the creation of a student center in Blanchard Hall; expansion and renovation of library and physical education facilities; energy conservation efforts on campus; and construction of the Equestrian Center. Some of these records also concern the development of the Village Commons shopping complex in South Hadley Center.
- Creation: 1929-1996
Conditions Governing Access
Meeting Minutes for March 2, 1984-January 11, 1986, are unrestricted. Other records are restricted to use by the Board of Trustees for 50 years from date of record creation.
Conditions Governing Use
Use of the collection is governed by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S.C.).
The Committee on Buildings and Grounds, established in 1908 as the Building Committee, has general supervision of the construction of new buildings and oversees major repairs, renovations, and improvements to the buildings and grounds at Mount Holyoke College. Trustees as well as College administrators serve on the committee.
1.46 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Records of the Committee on Buildings and Grounds, established in 1908 as the Building Committee, date from 1929-1996 and chiefly concern the construction and renovation of facilities, improvements to the campus, and the purchase and sale of property at Mount Holyoke College. Materials consist of minutes and agenda, reports, architectural plans, correspondence, financial records, memoranda, and lists.
Processed by Patricia J. Albright, 2007. Peter Carini and Juliana Kuipers assisted with the arrangement and description of these records from 1999-2002.
Genre / Form
- architectural records
- corporation records
- financial records
- minutes (administrative records)
- Committee on Buildings and Grounds Records, 1929-1996
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Patricia J. Albright.
- © 2007
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA