Romance Languages and Literatures Department records
Scope and Contents
The Mount Holyoke College Romance Languages and Literatures Department Records contains a photocopied page from the Llamarada (the College yearbook); reports; grade books; a scrapbook including newspaper clippings and photographs; an advertisement; and a program. The materials in the scrapbook pertain mainly to department events and to the French House, Le Foyer. The advertisement and program held in the records are from a play given by the Romance Languages and Literatures Department. The annual reports of the department to the President of the College are also included in the records. These reports contain information pertaining to honor students, prizes, awards, changes in personnel, enrollment trends, and department activities.
- Creation: 1908-1942
Conditions Governing Access
Access to student records restricted.
Shortly after the founding of Mount Holyoke Female Seminary in 1837, the study of modern foreign language was introduced as an optional addition to the standard curriculum. In these early days, one instructor was employed to teach all modern language classes at the Seminary. In 1876, Mount Holyoke became one of the first colleges in the nation to require the study of a modern foreign language in addition to Latin and Greek. At this time, the only modern languages taught at Mount Holyoke were French and German. In the 1887/1888 academic year, French and German Departments existed at the College. The study of Italian and Spanish was introduced in the 1894/1895 academic year, but courses in these subjects were not offered regularly until 1901. In this year, Mary Vance Young, professor of Italian, came to the College and instigated the formation of the Department of Romance Languages. This new department included the study of French, German, Italian, and Spanish. In the 1936/1937 academic year, this department expanded to become the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures. In the 1942/1943 academic year, the department disbanded and separate departments in each language were created. An interdepartmental major in Romance Languages and Literatures was available from 1942/1943 until 1972/1973. This was changed to an interdisciplinary major in 1973/1974. Although most institutions ceased to require the study of a modern language in the 1960's (only to reinstate the requirements in the 1980's), Mount Holyoke has consistently retained its modern language requirement.
0.83 Linear Feet (2 full Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The Mount Holyoke College Romance Languages and Literatures Department Records contains a photocopied page from the Llamarada (the College yearbook); reports; grade books; a scrapbook including newspaper clippings and photographs; an advertisement; and a program.
- Romance Languages and Literatures Department
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Archives and Special Collections Staff .
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA