Skip to main content

Art records

 Series — Box: 1
Identifier: RG 18-03

Scope and Contents

The Mount Holyoke College Art Department records consist of correspondence; department reports; telegrams; historical sketches and notes; memos; lecture transcripts and announcements; pamphlets; flyers; posters; press releases; news and magazine articles; minutes, agendas, and notes from department meetings; financial records; check stubs; appropriation requests; petitions to raise funds; course outlines; syllabi; teaching notes; examinations; student papers; student enrollment lists; faculty publication lists; biographical sketches; art collection inventories; art show invitations and programs; art building plans and specifications; statistical tables; prints; slides; photographic negatives; and photographs. In general, the records deal with all aspects of the formation, operation and funding of the Mount Holyoke College Art Department. Also included are documents related to the college Art Museum and the art collections of Mount Holyoke throughout its history. In addition, the records describe special programs, lecture series, and guest professorships such as the Egypt Exploration Fund, the "Friends of Art" program, the Purington Professorship, the Amy M. Sacker Memorial Lectureship (1965-1969), and the Hyde-Foss Lecture Series (established in 1948). Of particular note is correspondence from 1903-1906 between the college Art Department and the U.S. Bureau of Education regarding a special report on "American Education in Fine and Industrial Art." Another correspondence noteworthy for its unique and extensive handwriting is between Gertrude S. Hyde, a departmental chair, and various well-known artists regarding the contest to hang a painting in the library's newly built Stimson Room. Significant correspondents include the US Bureau of Education, Gertrude S. Hyde, Mary E. Wooley, Harriet Newhall, Henry Moore, and the Portland Museum Art.

Dates

  • 1898-

Conditions Governing Access

Records restricted to use by office/department of origin for 25 years from date of record creation.

Historical Note

The Mount Holyoke College Art Department was established in 1950. Prior to that year, art and art history were taught under the auspices of "Art and Archaeology," first listed together in the 1897 course catalogue then linked as a formal department in 1928. The Mount Holyoke College Art Museum was given the status of a separate entity in 1978.

Extent

2.09 Linear Feet (5 full Hollinger boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Mount Holyoke College Art Department records consist of correspondence; department reports; telegrams; historical sketches and notes; memos; lecture transcripts and announcements; pamphlets; flyers; posters; press releases; news and magazine articles; minutes, agendas, and notes from department meetings; financial records; check stubs; appropriation requests; petitions to raise funds; course outlines; syllabi; teaching notes; examinations; student papers; student enrollment lists; faculty publication lists; biographical sketches; art collection inventories; art show invitations and programs; art building plans and specifications; statistical tables; prints; slides; photographic negatives; and photographs.
Author
Finding aid prepared by Archives and Special Collections Staff.
Date
2011
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA
413-538-3079