Biological Sciences Department records
Scope and Contents
The Mount Holyoke College Biological Sciences Department records contain articles; newspaper clippings; brochures; announcements; reports; correspondence; memoranda; press releases; examinations; blueprints; and photographs. The records include historical sketches of the department. Articles and clippings generally pertain to events, announcements, grants, special programs, exhibition descriptions, and equipment acquisitions. The brochures offer descriptions of the Biological Sciences Department. Reports include the annual reports of the department to the President of the College (1964/1965- ). The correspondence and memoranda are chiefly written by and to faculty and staff and relate to grants and acquisitions, including a grant proposal. The examinations included are from various courses in the Biological Sciences Department. The announcements and press releases chiefly pertain to special events, such as exhibitions and lecture series. The blueprints for the Environmental Control Cabinet are included in these records. The photographs mainly depict students, faculty, and staff in classrooms, in laboratories, and at department events.
- Creation: 1924-
Conditions Governing Access
Records restricted to use by office/department of origin for 25 years from date of record creation.
The Mount Holyoke College Biological Sciences Department has existed as a formal academic department at the College since the 1964/1965 academic year. Prior to this time, and since the inception of the Mount Holyoke Female Seminary in 1837, courses had been taught in Botany, Physiology, and Zoology. In the 1941/1942 academic year, the College offered to students an interdisciplinary course of study called "Biology," combining courses and laboratory and field work in the three biological sciences offered: Botany, Physiology, and Zoology. This interdisciplinary major was offered until 1963/1964. In the following academic year, the courses from the Botany, Physiology, and Zoology Departments were grouped together to form the Biological Sciences Department.
1.25 Linear Feet (3 full Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The Mount Holyoke College Biological Sciences Department records contain articles; newspaper clippings; brochures; announcements; reports; correspondence; memoranda; press releases; examinations; blueprints; and photographs.
- Biological Sciences Department Records
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Archives and Special Collections.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA