Scope and Contents
The Louise Myrth Ireland-Frey Correspondence contains letters to family written as a graduate student and teaching assistant in the Zoology Department at Mount Holyoke College. The letters include detailed personality descriptions of Ireland-Frey's fellow teaching assistants and teaching mentors, particularly Ann Haven Morgan and Christianna Smith. Ireland-Frey also comments on her teaching responsibilities and social activities with her colleagues including campus events, lectures, and local outings as well as her research in zoology and histology. Ireland-Frey also notes the stereotypes and lifestyles of New Englanders compared to Westerners and her resulting homesickness for the West.
- Creation: 1934-1936
Conditions Governing Access
Louise Myrth Ireland-Frey was born on November 12, 1912, in Meridan, Idaho. She recieved an A.B. from the University of Colorado in 1934 and an M.A. from Mount Holyoke College in 1936. In 1940, she received an M.D. from Tulane University. She married and had four sons.
1 boxes (Faculty/Staff)
Language of Materials
Ireland-Frey, Louise Myrth, 1912- ; Doctor and housewife. Mount Holyoke College M.A., 1936. Papers consist of letters written to her family; primarily describing her experience as an assistant in the Zoology Department at Mount Holyoke as well as her social activities and the behavior of colleagues and students.
Genre / Form
- Clothing and dress
- College students -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence
- College teachers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence
- Family -- United States -- History
- Graduate students -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence
- Mount Holyoke College -- Faculty
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student expenses -- 1934-1936
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life -- 1934-1936
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student notebooks -- 1934
- Mount Holyoke College -- Students
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Women -- Employment -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Women -- United States -- Social conditions
- Women college students -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence
- Women college teachers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence
- Women graduate students -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence
- Women scientists -- United States -- Biography
- Zoology -- Study and teaching
- Ireland-Frey correspondence, 1934-1936.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA