Hugh Thomson sketches
Scope and Contents
The Hugh Thomson Sketches, 1913 and 1919, consist of two original pencil drawings that were published in the Highways and Byways series. The 1913 drawing, titled "Brampton," can be found on page 408 of Highways and Byways in the Border by Andrew and John Lang. The 1919 drawing, titled "At Didbrook," is on page 174 of Highways and Byways in Gloucestershire by Edward Hutton.
Material from this collection is available in an online digital format.
- 1913, 1919
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Use of the collection is governed by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S.C.).
Hugh Thomson, best known for his illustrations of popular books, was born on June 1, 1860 in Coleraine, Ireland. His professional career began with an apprenticeship at Marcus Ward and Company, a card manufacturer. In 1883 he moved to London where he met William Comyns Carr, editor of The English Illustrated Magazine. Thomson's work was featured frequently in this publication. He also contributed illustrations to The Graphic. His illustrations can be found in a series called Highways and Byways as well as works by Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, James Lane Allen, and Austin Dobson. Thomson was married to Jessie Naismith of Belfast and had one son. He died in England on May 7, 1920 of heart disease.
0.04 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Thomson, Hugh, 1860-1920; Illustrator. Two original pencil drawings from the Highways and Byways series.
The sketches were processed by Crystal L. Johnson, 2005.
- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- illustrations (layout features) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- preliminary sketches (sketches) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hugh Thomson Sketches, 1913, 1919
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Crystal L. Johnson.
- © 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA