Scope and Contents
The Sarah Helen Youngblood Papers contain correspondence, 1959-1980; course records, 1958-1980; subject files, 1955-1980; writings, 1955-1986; biographical material, 1967-1987; and photographs, 1968-1980. The correspondence reflects her teaching and work as a poet. The course records were for English 102, 105, 170, 200, 223, 224, 336, 370, 371, 393, 394, 399, D-199, G-100, I-306, I-310, and a few other courses at the University of Minnesota. The subject files concern her research of poetry. The biographical material includes resumes, articles, tributes and correspondence about her.
- Creation: 1955-1987
Conditions Governing Access
Sarah Helen Youngblood was born on December 16, 1928 in Tyrone, Oklahoma. She received a B.A. in 1950, an M.A. in 1951, and a Ph.D. in 1958, all from the University of Oklahoma in English Literature. She then worked at the University of Minnesota until 1968 when she became a professor at Mount Holyoke College. From 1959 onwards, she published numerous articles and reviews, as well as some poems. She specialized in modern poetry and American Literature. She died on June 24, 1980.
7 boxes (Faculty/Staff)
Language of Materials
Youngblood, Sarah Helen, 1928-1980; Poet and college teacher. Mount Holyoke College faculty member, 1968-1980. Papers consist of correspondence, course records, subject files, writings, biographical information, and photographs. Primarily documenting her teaching career and work as a poet as well as subject files of research on poetry.
This collection is organized into six series by type of material and arranged chronologically.
- College teachers -- Massachusetts -- Biography
- English teachers -- United States -- Biography
- Mount Holyoke College -- Faculty
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Poets, American -- 20th century -- Biography
- Women college teachers -- United States -- Biography
- Women poets -- Massachusetts -- 20th century -- Biography
- Youngblood papers, 1955-1987.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA