Gena L. Reisner papers
Scope and Contents
The Gena Reisner Papers consist of correspondence and writings. The material relates to her work as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Togo, West Africa from 1964-1966, and to her experiences living in that country and traveling in Ghana, Dahomey (now Benin), Nigeria, Kenya and Tanzania. The collection contains typed excerpts of the frequent letters Reisner wrote to her family from the two towns where she was stationed: Woamé, a small town on the Ghanaian border from 1964-1965 and Lomé, the coastal capital city from 1965-1966. Reisner traveled back to Togo in the 1980s and wrote newspaper and magazine articles about those experiences, several of which are included in the collection.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by Gena Reisner.
Gena Lee Reisner was born on February 24, 1943 in Kew Gardens, New York to Bernard and Edith Reisner. She graduated from Herricks High School in 1960. She attended Mount Holyoke from 1960-62, and then transferred to Barnard. In 1964 she entered the Peace Corps and went to Togo, Africa. There she taught English in a small village. She published many articles conscerning her experiences in Africa.
3 folders (x1964)
Language of Materials
Reisner, Gena Lee, 1943- ; Peace Corps volunteer. Attended Mount Holyoke College, 1960-1962. Papers consist of excerpts from letters to her family, primarily regarding her work in Togo, Africa as an English teacher and her travels to other African countries.
A letter written by Gena Reisner to Mount Holyoke faculty member Elizabeth Green has been removed from this collection and moved to Green's collection at Resiner's request after a discussion with Leslie Fields on November 13, 2014.
- Africa -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Togo -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Teachers -- Togo -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Togo -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reisner correspondence, 1964-1966.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA