Scope and Contents
The Edith Huntington Smith Papers include correspondence, 1912-1924; diaries, 1913-1924; writings, 1914-1923; and photographs, 1904-1924. The correspondence primarily discuss Smith's travels abroad, and document her daily activities. The writings include many articles written by Smith. The photographs include pictures of family members, as well as ones taken in India and Japan.
- Creation: 1904-1924
Conditions Governing Access
Edith Huntington Reed was born on May 21, 1878 in Westfield, Massachusetts. Her sister Susan Reed Stifler graduated from Mount Holyoke College in 1907. Edith graduated from Mount Holyoke in 1901, and in 1902 became the Principal's Assistant at Glenbrook School in Connecticut. In 1905 she moved to New Jersey and taught at the Central Grammar School. In July of 1910, she married Justin Burritt Smith, a graduate of Amherst College. He died in 1912. She taught at a variety of schools, and in 1915 became a missionary in India where she worked until her death in 1924.
2 boxes (2 boxes(10 linear in.))
Language of Materials
Smith, Edith Huntington Reed, 1878-1924; Teacher and missionary. Mount Holyoke College graduate, 1901. Papers consist of correspondence, diaries, writings, and photographs. Primarily documenting her work and travels to Japan and India.
Genre / Form
- Ahmadnagar (India) -- Description and travel
- India -- Description and travel
- India -- Social Conditions
- Missionaries -- India -- Correspondence
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Prisoners of war -- Germany
- Prisoners of war -- India
- Teachers -- India -- Correspondence
- Women missionaries -- India -- Correspondence
- Women teachers -- India -- Correspondence
- World War, 1914-1918 -- India
- Smith papers, 1904-1924.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA