Winter family correspondence
Scope and Contents
Chiefly letters to Henry A. Winter (dated 1861-1862) from his mother, Mrs. S. A. Winter, and sister, Adelaide Winter, written while he was stationed with the 11th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers. Reflects his mother's activities in Berlin, Wisconsin, and his sister's life as a student at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary. Also includes two letters (dated 1871-1872) describing Adelaide's illness and death from tuberculosis, after her marriage to Francis H. Hiett.
Conditions Governing Access
Mrs. Winter had two children, Adelaide and Henry. In 1961 Henry joined the Wisconsin Volunteers, Adelaide went to Mount Holyoke Seminary (x-Class of 1864) and Mrs. Winter moved in with Aunt Lizze and Uncle Charles in Berlin. Adelaide married and had one son, Johnny Hiett. She died in 1871 from tuberculosis.
1 boxes (x1864)
Language of Materials
Winter Family. Papers contain letters from Mrs. S.A. Winters and daughter, Adelaide Winter Hiett, d.1871, a student at Mount Holyoke College, 1860-1862, to her son, Henry A. Winter, in the Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry during the United States Civil War.
- Berlin (Wis.) -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life -- 1861-1862 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Soldiers -- United States -- Family relationships -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thanksgiving -- 1861 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tuberculosis -- United States -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Winter family correspondence, 1861-1872.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA