Scope and Contents
The Gertrude E. Somes Correspondence consists of a notebook of letter extracts, dated September 13, 1888 to January 30, 1889, and one note. The excerpts are from letters written while Somes attended Mount Holyoke Seminary and College. They describe her studies, domestic work, food, rules and regulations, a political rally and faculty, with a particular emphasis on her dislike of domestic work. Included in the margins of the extracts are Somes' notes which clarify her writings. In addition, there is a note from Somes to Mount Holyoke regarding these letters.
- Creation: 1888-1889
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1888 - 1888
Conditions Governing Access
Gertrude E. Somes grew up in Danielsonville, Connecticut and entered Mount Holyoke Seminary and College in the fall of 1888 (x-Class of 1892). She studied French and Rhetoric. She did not enjoy her domestic work assignments, lost several pounds during her first semester, and left school in the spring of 1889. She then attended Wellesley College.
1 folders (x1892)
Language of Materials
Somes, Gertrude E.; Student. Attended Mount Holyoke Seminary and College, 1888-1889. Papers consist of correspondence and one note from her time at Mount Holyoke. Primarily describing her daily life with an emphasis on her dislike of the domestic work system.
- Mount Holyoke College -- Domestic work
- Mount Holyoke College -- Schedules
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life
- Mount Holyoke College -- Traditions
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Curricula
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty -- History
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Students
- Somes Correspondence, 1888-1889 (bulk 1888)
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA