Jane Scudder correspondence
Scope and Contents
The Jane Scudder Correspondence consists of 15 letters written between October 17, 1844-July 8, 1846. All the letters are addressed to her parents in Boston and primarily concern life (illnesses, deaths, professors and roommates) and academics at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary. Scudder also mentions the visit to the Seminary by her cousin Dr. Scudder, a missionary to India.
- Creation: 1844-1846
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1845 - 1845
Conditions Governing Access
Jane Scudder was born ca. May, 1828 and was probably raised in Boston, Massachusetts. She was a non-graduate of Mount Holyoke Female Seminary Class of 1847 and appears to have attended from 1844-1846. Scudder died in West Newton, Massachusetts in 1906.
1 folders (x1847)
Language of Materials
Scudder, Jane, ca. 1828-1906; Student. Attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary 1844-1846. Papers consist of 15 letters to her parents, primarily describing her life at Mount Holyoke.
Genre / Form
- Mount Holyoke College -- Domestic work
- Mount Holyoke College -- Schedules
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty -- History
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Regulations
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Students
- Scudder Correspondence, 1844-1846.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA