Scope and Contents
The Mary Louise (Moody) Nelson Papers contain correspondence and journals. Some letters are addressed to Moody's cousin, Abner DeWitt of Amherst and later Williamstown, Massachusetts (February 29, 1848-November 1, 1850). These letters discuss local news and the illness and death of Moody's brother, Fayette Moody. More lettes are addressed to Moody's sister, Katharine R. Moody (x-Class of 1859) and were written between February 12, 1854 and December 21, 1858. The first three of these letters regard life at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, the next three were written while she was a teacher in Springfield, Massachusetts, and the remaining letters concern family news from Elyria, Ohio, after her marriage. Moody also mentions Harriet S. DeWitt (x-Class of 1861).
- 1848 - 1959
- Majority of material found within 1854 - 1858
Conditions Governing Access
Mary Louise Moody was a graduate of Mount Holyoke Female Seminary Class of 1854. Moody lived with her family in Granby, Massachusetts while attending the Seminary. She taught school in Springfield, Massachusetts after she graduated. She married T.L. Nelson and moved to Elyria, Ohio, where she died in 1863.
1 boxes (1854 Moody)
Language of Materials
Nelson, Mary Louise Moody, d. 1863; Teacher. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary graduate, 1854. Papers consist of correspondence and journals. Primarily discussing local events, family, and life in Ohio during the late 19th century.
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student notebooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College -- Traditions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Curricula Subject Source: Local sources
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Nelson Papers, 1848-1959 (bulk 1854-1858)
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA