Scope and Contents
The Melissa (Usher) Tyler Papers contain 56 letters written to her family from October 1852 to July 1856. The letters concern life, illnesses and academics at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary and also include questions to her mother regarding sewing and altering clothing. Later letters also include home news and comments about friends. The collection also comprises academic notebooks dating from 1852-1856, primarily containing notes on religion.
- Creation: 1852-1856
Conditions Governing Access
Melissa Usher grew up in Higganum, Connecticut, and entered Mount Holyoke Female Seminary in 1852. She remained for that academic year, returned in 1854, and graduated with the Class of 1856. After graduation she took care of her ill mother, married Alpheus Williams Tyler and had three children. Her sister Jerusha (Jessie) Usher also attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary and graduated in 1857. Melissa Usher Tyler died in Tylerville, Connecticut in 1906.
1 boxes (1856 Usher)
Language of Materials
Tyler, Melissa Usher, d.1906; Housewife. Mount Holyoke Female Seminary graduate, 1856. Papers consist of fifty-six letters to her family and notebooks on religion. Primarily describing her daily activities and academic career at Mount Holyoke.
- Mount Holyoke College -- Domestic work
- Mount Holyoke College -- Schedules
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student life
- Mount Holyoke College -- Student notebooks
- Mount Holyoke College -- Traditions
- Mount Holyoke College Manuscript Collections
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Curricula
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Faculty -- History
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Religion
- Mount Holyoke Female Seminary -- Students
- Tyler Papers, 1852-1856.
- Finding Aid
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Encoding funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections Repository
50 College Street
8 Dwight Hall
South Hadley MA 01075-6425 USA